Thursday, May 12, 2005

New Semester, The Beginning of Things to Come!

A new semester dawned for me this past Monday. After this one I will be in my final semester at college. It has been a long and winding trip. I'm still learning to the day, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

OpenGL is going great on the first week, I already feel confident enough that I could write a missile command type game in it already (and this is after my first day of lectures). In fact I probably will go ahead and do it this weekend, The homework won't be too much this weekend, I have virtually a 4 day weekend during the summer. Writing the base for it would only take me a small hour, I think I shall do so. Hot Diggity Dog! (Those last three words was TOTALLY not myself).

Linear Algebra is promising, I think the key is turning to my future and I smell the 3rd Dimension calling my name. After this class there should be nothing to stop me from getting medieval on it.

Software Development is going to be, well... Interesting. 3 of us are in there, and we've got over our first little speed bump. One of the members of the group, Joey, has created a very neat PHP area to record our ideas for a game, the pros and cons and add comments to them. The other person, Robert, has not been too warm with the idea. For myself I'm hoping we can create a good, admirable game out of this, one that has a fun factor to it. It will require planning and I sure as hell hope that we can work this out without someone's feelings getting hurt. All 3 of us are going to have to sacrafice, compromise and give alittle when it comes to the collective goal of the team. I hope the others share that sentiment :).

But on another front, I'm starting my first project outside of school, and this is going to be a game (no, really, what did you think it'd be????) that I have been conceptualizing for roughly the time span of a semester. Yes it will be 2 dimensional, and it will have levels. I plan to show what I'm capable of with this project. Some realtively new stuff I've learned will come into play here (been reading some "read this and take away what you get from this" type articles, I'm broadening my horizons). I cannot go into great detail, but I will tell you its a platformer, and I have been having fun coming up with gameplay concepts, storylines and the little game details.

It looks like this is the start of something great. If I do plunk down to make the Missile Command type game, that's one more for the books. If this team project works out well, another plus. If my game idea gets conceptualized and finished by the end of the semester, I will buy some parachute pants and publically humiliate myself by doing the "Can't Touch This" dance. Oh how much of a dork I am :) (It makes me who I am).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home