Sunday, May 22, 2005

Rantings: Trip to Dallas, Six Flags, G4TV, general.

*This is the first post with the words 'the beginning' NOT appearing in the title line*

Just got back from a weekend in Dallas, took some time to relax from the stresses of everyday life. Enjoyed a few days at my brother's house and it was quite peaceful. Until we went to Six Flags and the rollercoaster section was approached! :P.

It was hotter than hell, it felt like an amusement park that was built on the surface of the sun. It was so hot, that the turkey leg dealers were cooking them on their tin roofs. Not really but you can get my vision of how hot it was. (Temperature wise it was high 90s, but felt like 100+)

The rides were great, it was my first time to the park (out of all the time I've spent in Texas), and I was genuinely pleased and will be back again (I have a season pass). It was a wonder I went on the parachutes, I have a heightened sense of acrophobia and it just kept going, then I was hoping that the carriage wouldn't fall at 9.8m/s.

One thing I refused to go on, based on height, was the observation tower. My brother went up the thing and according to him and his wife, he sat down almost half way up and did not get anywhere near the windows at the top.

It was great to have alittle fun, though I have to say that I took at least 3 mini showers underneath the water sprayers strewened throughout the park. I didn't like the fact it was overly crowded, but that's with all theme parks.

Beside that, we spent most of the time at my brothers house, where I caught some of G4TV. What a tragic waste of a good TV channel. Gone is the intellectual stimulus and in it's place is crap like 'The Whip Set.' How many more of these silly-arse car modification shows could you subject people to? I watched some of the repeat E3 coverage and its easy to spot sham reporting.

The roundtable panel consisted of the Xplay team (which I normally have no problem with, as they are the least slanted of the panel), the editor of IGN (who showed his true colors, green with $'s imprinted, offered the biased fanboy POV. Which I dispise). Then they had another guy, this is the first time I've ever seen him (though I rarely watch G4TV because it's gone to crap, this guy was the monkey in the middle but it was painfully obvious when he'd lean one side or another).

So I watched, at first with open mindedness. Adam and Morgan successfully gave me an at least honest view of what they saw, the guy from IGN I will not get started on, all he could do is seethe and drool over the Xbox. The third guy he was just the guy you know who always tries to add his two cents and it's so skeptical that you put him on ignore after the first few attempts.
The reason I bring this up, is the reason why crap has gone so slanted with coverage of games. To have a 'good' game, it seems you better have money to tool with the media, otherwise your game is as good as the 10 buck bargain bin. Reguardless of the game. They debated the rendering/real-time issues of PS3 games. Some of the Xbox 360 games looked like the belonged on the Xbox. This and their 'speeches' left them open for alot of criticism, though fanboys would disagree. I personally think Revolution did the right thing, keep a lid on it until the cement has dried a bit more. I think the Xbox 360 is too premature for it's projected release date and there's extensive debate on what the PS3 will be able to do come time to be placed on the shelf.

It's not hard to spot a render, though a fanboy of a system will automatically accept it as real-time.

But things in general, life is good, I've been working more towards getting alot of things done, and done within due time. I have alot of reading to do, but that's never a bad thing, unless I'm buried in it :P.

So until the next time, it's off to the batcave!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home